Best Workout Clothes for Men in 2019
Going to the gym to work out is an important part of every man’s life that is great for health and improves quality of life. It’s not just about throwing on some old shorts and sweating it out. If you're still getting acquainted with the gym, there are some key things you need to remember when purchasing your activewear.
When you’re searching for the best pieces to help you have the best workouts and look stylish while doing it, choosing the right fabric is so essential to having quality gym clothes. Fabrics that can wick sweat away and dry quickly will help you stay physically cool enough to keep going with your workout.
Keep reading to find out the perfect formula for keeping your gym clothes in the best condition.
- Sneakers - Look for lightweight sneakers that can be used for cardio and weightlifting. Avoid chunky and heavy shoes, like basketball shoes.
- Sweatpants - Keep yourself insulated and comfortable by looking for cotton sweatpants.
- Hoodie - Again, choose insulated materials which will keep your body temperature regulated. Cotton is a great natural material for this, but polyester or other synthetic materials are still good.
- Backpack - Choose something practical with lots of compartments. Some backpacks even have a space for a pair of shoes, which would be useful if you’re going to the gym after work. Try not to get something too large so it can still fit into a gym locker and is easy to carry.
- Baseball Cap - Great to keep your hair under control before and after working out. Avoid having to worry about that part of your look by keeping it covered!
- Shorts - Selecting a polyester blend can help move any sweat and moisture away from your body, to the outer layer to evaporate.
- Tank Tops / Tee shirts - Polyester or nylon blends, possibly with mesh panels, will really keep you cool and won’t give you sweaty patches.
Make sure to wear appropriate shoes and materials while working out. The gym is a social space and you never know who you might meet while there. Be sure to wear deodorant to help keep your body odor but don’t drench yourself in cologne because this can be just as overwhelming as body odor for other gym patrons.
A great place to get a range of stylish basics. They offer mostly cotton items that are made to be a slim fit. There is a great range of staple accessories for the gym in simplistic styles, very easy to add to any gym outfit.
This is a classic Canadian brand, built on a strong reputation for well-made clothing and high-quality materials. The aesthetic is minimalistic with small but notable details. Their clothes are made in a range of materials which can fit a variety of workout needs. Check out my Reigning Champ review here.
An Australian activewear brand focuses on specialized pieces for different types of physical activities. They have a great range of compression gear to help physical performance and development. The aesthetic is very “sporty”, and the brand focuses on the functionality of their clothing.
With a great range of fabric blends to help keep you insulated and cool, this brand offers materials that are designed to be resistant to odors and bacteria. Their pieces are made to be slim-fitted and their size guides are detailed to help you choose the right sizes. The aesthetic brings a futuristic vibe, with mostly greys and blacks you can’t go wrong.
Reigning Champ Rugby Slim Terry Sweatpant
Reigning Champ ‘Rugby Slim Terry Sweatpant’, just over USD$110, tapers down towards the ankle. These are midweight terry and made in Canada.
Reigning Champ Core Pull Over Hoodie
Reigning Champ ‘Core Pull Over Hoodie’ is about USD$150. This hoodie is soft and fitted, offering good insulation for your workout.
The Upside Logo-embroidered Cotton Cap
The Upside ‘Logo-embroidered cotton cap’ is around USD$40. A soft, Velcro-fastening strapped hat that is comfortable and minimalistic.
2XU Commuter Backpack
2XU ‘Commuter Backpack’ is a well-structured backpack which has three zip compartments, an internal zip, and slip pockets. For around USD$90, this is a great option with a good amount of space for all your gear.
Reebok Training Speed TR Sneakers
Reebok Training Speed TR Sneakers, for around USD$100, these are lightweight and flexible. Great as an all-rounder sneaker for the gym. They have padding for comfort and a supportive sole.
LNDR Steel Tech Performance T-shirt
LNDR ‘Steel Tech performance T-shirt’, costs around USD$80, and is a specialized mix of nylon, polyester, and elastane. This is going to keep you cool and won’t leave you with those unattractive sweat patches that cotton can cause.
2XU Xvent Performance Tank Top
2XU ‘Xvent performance tank top’ costs around USD$35 and is constructed from 100% polyester. A unique racer-back tank that is soft and lightweight.
Reebok Training Woven Shorts
Reebok ‘Training Woven Shorts in Black’ are about USD$35 and are a simplistic, regular fit pair of shorts. They come with two convenient pockets and feature a subtle Reebok logo.
It is best to stick with basic shades and try to pick pieces to create a monochrome look. Black, grey, and white are great for active wear because they coordinate well. You don’t want to come off like you’re trying hard to be noticed at the gym with bright, eccentric colors.
Lots of guys seem to think that oversized and unfitted clothes are the better choice but there are so many benefits to having well-fitted active wear. Firstly, a better fit will make movement a lot easier. Having extra material can constrict you.
Secondly, a slim fit will accentuate your physique in all the right ways. You want to feel confident while working out, and clothing that fits properly makes you look better. It’s a great cycle of confidence boosting, confidence can help you perform better, and a better workout will make you feel more confident!
Along the same lines as the tops for how to pick the fit of your clothes, you should be choosing tops and shorts that end at the right length. For your tank tops and tees, aim to have the hem at about 2-4 inches above your crotch. With shorts, 1-2 inches above the knee are best for both aesthetic and functionality.
For the best results, follow these steps:
- First thing when you get home from your workout, remove your gym clothes and let them air dry. Don’t just throw them in your clothes hamper!
- Pre-soak your clothes in about 1 cup of distilled white vinegar. This will help brighten your whites and remove odors.
- Turn all your clothes inside out and you can add some spot cleaner to the armpits of the clothes to help remove any excess deodorant and sweat.
- Once you’ve got all your dirty activewear together, fill up your washing machine and put it on a cold cycle. You can buy specific laundry detergent for activewear if you find your clothes not being quite as odor-free as you need.
- As the rinse cycle begins, add ½ a cup of distilled white vinegar for one last step to ensure all your clothes are going to come out smelling fresh and clean.
- Some important notes: Wash your activewear together, not with linens or delicate items. Also, don’t overuse detergent! Stick to the recommended amounts.